Yesterday Wixxyleaks’ South Coast page three girl and NSW Opposition Whip MP Noreen Hay made the often tricky transition from page three to page one.
The woman who has been backed all the way by NSW Labor Party General Secretary Jamie Clements found has once again found herself in some rather hot water.
Mr Clements supported Noreen through her pre-selection which turned out to be one of the most damaging pre-selection to a Labor brand still trying to recover from the corruption of Noreen’s old pals and political allies Eddie Obeid, Joe Tripodi and Ian McDonald.
Mr Clements went even further though, strongly supporting her into the Party Whip position and allegedly even helping in hiring staff for the whips office after key staff allegedly refused to work with Noreen and resigned.
Mr Clements was forced to close down one branch that had been controlled by Noreens allies, however only after damaging revelations were printed both here and in Fairfax.
The pre-selection was fraught with branch stacking allegations, memberships not renewed, members been intimidated and not allowed to vote and physically escorted from the ballot room. As for the branch that was closed down, minutes revealed them to be a branch of psychic’s knowing the details of Former Premier Barry O’Farrell’s resignation before it even happened.
NSW Labor under Jamie Clements and his so-called leadership is a strange beast indeed.
Many had issues with the way in which the disgraceful pre-selection was handled by Jamie and the Sussex St Machine. I certainly did and have written many a piece on the travesty, many branch members did, flooding my inbox with messages of support, many MP’s have also giving me the wink the nod and the pat on the back at various events.
Now it would seem the Federal Police also have taken issue to Jamie’s handling of events involving Noreen and decided maybe it can be handled better.
Yesterday Noreen Hay’s south coast electoral office was raided by Federal Police with items seized.
It is unclear as to the extent of their investigation however the consensus seems to be that it is to investigate allegations of electoral fraud.
However there are other matters that could also be related to the raid.
On the 26th May, Government Whip Peter Phelps raised some questions regarding Noreen’s possible involvement with a Chinese company called Shinyway and their representatives. Shinyway were featured on a 4 Corners programme that put the company in a less than favorable light. Noreen’s later response was far from convincing so I took it upon myself to ask her some questions via email on the 13th July, question which Noreen has refused to respond to and as such I have had no reply from Noreen or her office.
Below are my questions I was seeking response on. I hope the Federal Police can have a go at a response from her on them while they are chatting to her as many of us would love to know the whole story.
- What is the nature of your relationship with Shinyway Education Group and is this or has it ever been a financial relationship?
- What was the express purpose of this trip and what were the benefits to the taxpayers or Wollongong constituents?
- Who paid for your staffer Kiley Martin’s travel expenses, and was she on leave at the time or was the taxpayer paying for her time?
- Was Randy Lu or Michelle Greig part of the delegation you traveled with? If so who paid for their travel expenses?
- A few years ago there was a scandal involving potential students from China paying to sit tests as a means of scouting for Wollongong University. This allegedly involved both Randy Lu and Peter Pederson. Can you explain if you had any involvement in this matter and to what extent?
- You have claimed that you can provide details of your e-ticket and correspondence with Barry O’Farrell on the trip, why has none of this documentation been tabled as yet?
- What was the nature of your recent trip to the Cook Islands?
- Do you or any organization you are part of have any back accounts or financial advisors based in the Cook Islands?
- It is understood that former members of the Illawarra Regional Development Board aided by the disgraced former Minister Tony Kelly made regular trips to China, such as Valerio Zanotto and Kiril Janovski who were exposed as corrupt by ICAC during to Wollongong council hearings. For what period were you chair of this board and what knowledge do you have of the purpose and regularity of these trips, and did you also go on any of these trips?
- Randy Lu has been in Australia in recent weeks, have you met with him while he has been here and if so what was discussed at those meetings?
- Do you feel it is in the Labor Party’s interests given the questions surrounding yourself and Shinyway that you are the Opposition Whip.
- Have any current or former officials from Sussex St been aware or involved in your dealings with Shinyway and if so to what extent?
In the meantime we will wait for further details of the raid on Jamie Clement’s golden girl’s office to be announced.
Rest assured I will be following events closely.
Editors note: this afternoon Noteen Hay has stood down as Opposition WhipFollow @madwixxy